Sunday 13 February 2011

Dogs Etiquette

I can still remember my first the first time I got bitten by a dog. I was visiting my grandfather at his place, upon coming out of the car I saw this cute brown dog with white patches over his eyes getting up and looking at me. As I approached him, I realized that he was standing only on three legs, one of his front legs was amputated. I felt sorry for him, so I stretched out my hand attempting to give him a pat on his head and that was when he turn vicious and bite my hand. Well I never really understand why he attacked me when I meant him no harm until years later when Belle, my first dog, came along. I learnt from the many books I read that everything I was doing that day, right from the moment I stepped out of the car was wrong!

Dogs and human communicates differently and more often then not, we humans have the tendency to impose our interpretations and ideas onto our beloved dogs. And the result of that is never a happy one. It is important to understand and respect our dogs, regardless of their names and how we may see them (son, daughter or baby). They are first and foremost a dog, so the best way to respect and love them is to let them be the dog that nature have wired them to be. So it is important for us to learn and understand their language and the way they communicate so that we do not have a communication break down!

First and foremost, you must be able to project a calm aura around you. Have the end state you want to achieve in your mind. With this, you will be able to project a more positive energy towards the dog.

Never ever make frontal approach to a dog that you are meeting for the first time. As a frontal approach towards them into their personal space would make most dogs uncomfortable and anxious and therefore more prone to attack. Always approach them with your sides towards them, so that they feel less threaten.

Never look or stare into their eyes because in the dog world, a direct stare is deemed as an adversarial display which often leads to aggression if not stop in time. Look at their mouth, chest or paw instead as you approach them.

Do not make any sudden movements or loud noise as this might create excitement or tension which can result in an attack. The best way is always to move near to them, remain at your position and ignore them. This would arouse their curiosity. Once their curiosity is arouse it will move towards you, allow the dog to sniff you while remaining calm. Once he is satisfy and ascertain that you are not a threat, you will be able to tell from his body language that he has accepted you.

Lastly never pet a dog that you are meeting for the first time on his head. Reach out for the chin, neck, chest or the side instead.

Of course do not forget about our human etiquette of asking the owner for permission before approaching their dog or petting them. And common sense will tell you not to touch a dog on the part of his body where he is experiencing discomfort such as a wound.

Additional resources:
Dog Behavior: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet
The Cautious Canine
Barking: The Sound of a Language (Dogwise Training Manual)
On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals
Rover, Get off Her Leg!: Pet Etiquette for the Dog Who Pees on Your Rug, Steals the Pot Roast and Poops in Improper Places


No comments:

Post a Comment