Monday 24 January 2011

My experience with my first dog Belle

My Experience with my first dog, Belle

Ever since I was young, I always wanted to have a pet dog. But my mum would not allow me to get one citing the reason that I was too young to be able to care for a dog. In my mind, caring for a dog is no rocket science, so when I grew up and got the financial abilities, I got my first pet dog. She is a beautiful english cocker spaniel which I got from a home breeder. I named her Belle. She was 3 months when I got her, a very lively and playful girl. That evening I brought her home, housed her in a playpen, gave her water, dry food in her bowl and even had a pee pan inside for her to relieve herself.

That night due to a change in her environment, she was whining for the entire night and when I woke up next morning I was horrified to see urine stain and poop all over the floor. Over the next few days she developed severe diarrhea. Rushed her to the vet and realized that she is allergic to he food that I was giving her. It was then I realized the truth of my mum's word. Money is just part of the whole equation. I was awfully unprepared for Belle...

To cut the long story short, I did a lot of research and reading on dog diets and training, she got well eventually but due to my irregular working schedule, and housing regulations in my country, I have to re-home her. It was a painful decision which I had to make and I am glad that today she is happily re-homed in a loving family :)
A few things to consider before you rush to get a pet...

1. As much as a dog is a companion for you, you are also a companion for him, and in most case the only 1 that he is going to have for his entire life with you. Are you able to make this commitment and be loyal to him as he is loyal to you?

2. Are you willing to invest your money, time and effort to bond with and train him?

3. Have you done your due diligence to find out more on the type of dog you want as well as their growing stages? Every breed of dogs of their inherent issues, for example dachshunds are fond of digging while cocker spaniels are prone to ear infections etc, teething puppies tend to chew and males tend to mark their territory.

4. Is having a dog going to conflict with my current commitments? If you have family members who are allergic to dog fur then perhaps its good to consider a breed that does not shed, or if you have irregular working hours you might want to consider how you can get help while you are away from home.

5. Are there any housing regulations that restricts the type or breed of dogs you can have?

6. Just as everyone of us is different, the way a dog sees and perceives things is also different from us. Can you love and respect him as much as he loves and respects you?

No comments:

Post a Comment