Monday 31 January 2011

Crate training

Since I mentioned crate training on my last post on toilet training, I thought I'll make things complete by adding in my crate training experience with my dogs.

Crate training was something that I came across while searching for a quick and easy way to train my puppies to pee and poo at the designated toilet area. Initially I was rather reluctant to tried this methods as I always believed that dogs are meant to be roaming around, and because I love my dogs I would rather let them run around the house then to lock them up in the crate with tiny little space. However eventually I gave it a try as I was getting inconsistent results from my puppies. And the results I got were really shocking!

Later I also learn that a crate is like a personal space for the dog, and should mimic the den like atmosphere that a dog naturally seeks. As this is his den, he will be most unlikely to soil his area. The main thing to take note in crate training is to create positive experiences of the crate for your dogs.

1. First of all we need a crate. The crate should ideally have enough space for your dog/puppy to lie down and stretch itself but nothing bigger than that. Because a bigger space means a higher chance of him eliminating in one of the corners.

2. But a blanket into the crate to help the dog/puppy feel secure and to provide comfort.

3. Slowly introduce the dog/puppy to the crate. This will require lots of patient but is well worth the effort. Use treats to lure him into the crate but do not close the gate at the initial stage. Instead praise him and shower him with affections the moment he gets in. Then allow him to come out. Never drag him into the crate as this will create a negative experience of the crate for him.

4. Once the dog/puppy is at ease with the crate, close the gate for a brief period of time (starting from a few minutes) once he gets into the crate. Gradually increase the length of time he is in the crate.

5. Place the crate in the living room or anywhere where the family hangs out so that he don't feel isolated. Put some chew toys in the crate to keep him busy.

6. Feed the dog/puppy in the crate to create more positive experience for him. You can even show your affection by petting him if he goes in and lie down.

An additional tip: Once my puppies got used to their crates, I bring the training further by using it to teach them their designated toilet area. Whenever I let them out, I will bring them to the designated toilet area to let them relieve. After which I will get them to return to their crates. Once a routine has been set up and they are able to return to the designated toilet area to do their business for about 80-90% of the time, I will allow them to roam the house. But they still return to their crates at night when they sleep as that is the comfort zone that I have created for them :) 

All the best and have lots of fun training with your dogs/puppies :)

Some recommended resources:
Quick & Easy Crate Training
Everything You Need to Know About House Training Puppies & Adult Dogs!
The Art of Raising a Puppy
How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With



No comments:

Post a Comment